Thursday, October 20, 2005

The Beach

I had written this poem while pursuing my MBA in Manipal. The place has some amazing coastline. Goa style shacks that serve some amazing cuisine, beach football, dipping in the sea etc are what i remember now. But what stands out is the lone lighthouse on one of the beaches, the rocks surrounding it and my friends & me sitting on the wave beaten rocks watching the sunset...............

Been on the road long
Me & my machine.
Memories rising, once lay buried
While the sun sets in my life.

I called, “Honey I will be home”,
Just a few days more,
Got to run through my life
And live those good ‘ol times once more.

The oceans now at my side,
Flashes of memories & I sigh
Walk up to the old beachcombers home
A man of wisdom & lore.

His face lights up when he sees me,
“Long time son”, he in love greets
I feel young in his thoughts,
As we stroll down the beach.

He points at our footprints,
And says, “Son, an hour & it will not be”
The tides of time sweeps away memories
The good, bad & the ugly.
At peace you are now, when you look ahead,
Not fearing the scars, left behind.

We sat on the rocks beaten by
Waves in stubborn determination
Watching a ship tossed navigating
Guided by a lone lighthouse.
O captain brave, a friend somewhere
Is looking out for you, till you anchor weigh.

Its late in the evening now
Got a wife to go back to
I close my eyes & get a final whiff
Hear sounds of Ol’ friends,
Playing in water & sand,
Now in lands & seas between
Goodbye, good old beach of mine.

No comments: